Let’s Talk About Maintenance Programs. Did you know that the ToeFX Therapy Light can successfully prevent re-infections of onychomycosis?
It is well known by clinicians and researchers that onychomycosis patients are commonly susceptible to re-infection. It is a very stubborn condition to successfully treat permanently. Statistics vary, but studies show the rates of reinfection can be 25-50% or more. Furthermore, it should be recognized that reinfection can occur much later. A year or more can pass before symptoms of the condition return. This can be extremely frustrating for patients.
It is important for clinicians to know that patients with a genetic predisposition, the elderly, immunocompromised, and those with diabetes are more likely to experience re-infection of onychomycosis. Other factors to be considered are:
- Family history and cross-contagion from family members
- Lifestyle, such as occlusive footwear that is a breeding ground for fungal infections
- Moist environmental conditions
- Fungus type
- Cure efficacy
For this reason, a maintenance regimen should be planned for and implemented to reduce the likelihood of recurrence once successful results have been achieved. Topical medications are being used for this purpose.
Now there is a new and more effective option. Photodisinfection has proven to show great promise as the preferred maintenance tool for the prevention of relapse.
ToeFX research studies carried out in two sites concluded that ToeFX photodisinfection therapy should be repeated every 6-8 weeks as a maintenance regimen (past initial sessions every 2 weeks) to prevent relapse in most cases. The benefits of this regimen include the following:
- A safer therapy for long term use
- No side effects experienced over extended periods of time
- Increases compliance as it is routinely scheduled and requires only regularly scheduled appointments
- A better solution for those patients that are prone to reinfection
Of course, personal hygiene measures should also be a priority for those experiencing or predisposed to onychomycosis. Basic practices for prevention include:
- Wearing clean socks and shoes
- Keeping the feet cool and dry
- Avoiding wet public places such as pools and locker rooms
- Keeping nails trimmed short
- Avoiding contagion from family members
Display ToeFX Infographic Image about Toenail Fungus Prevention
How Does Maintenance Work with ToeFX?
When using ToeFX ClearToe Therapy, the patient is provided with a simple maintenance plan that is meant to prevent or contain reinfections. It is safe, easy, and eliminates worry. Providing an ongoing treatment solution for your patients suffering from onychomycosis is a win-win.
Patients can be scheduled to come once every 6-8 weeks, depending on the severity of the toenail fungus and the success of previous treatments.
Want to know more about the science behind offering ToeFX maintenance to your patients? Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We want to help the millions of people hiding their feet to “show off their toenails” with confidence. Our commitment to our partner clinicians and their patients is to provide innovative, high-quality products that really work and the scientific information they need to grow their foot care businesses successfully.
- Onychomycosis: Practical Approaches to Minimize Relapse and Recurrence Antonella Tosti and Boni E. Elewski
- A photodisinfection maintenance regimen for the prevention of recurring onychomycosis Irit Itzhaki Van-Ham, Francesca Sarzetto, and Showkat Monika Yazdanian